resources header

How Do I Serve a Document on a Corporation?

business law smallService is the procedure by which the plaintiff informs the defendant of the claims made against him or her. Serving a document on a corporation can be achieved through several methods that include:

  • Leaving it at, or posting it to, the corporations registered office
  • Delivering a copy of the document personally to the director of the company
  • Personally serving the document on the principal officer of the corporation
  • Any other manner in which service of such a document may, by law, be served on the corporation.

A party that files a document must soon as practicably possible, serve the document on each other active party.

If you are unable to serve a document, it is possible to make an application to the court for what is called an Order for Substituted Service. However, the Court does not automatically grant an application for an Order for Substituted Service and you will also need to file an affidavit explaining the reasons as to why the document can not be served.

Corporations Act 2001, s 109X


The material on this website does not constitute legal advice and should only be used as a guide and general overview on matters of interest. Each client's circumstances vary and you should not act on the information published without obtaining specific legal advice. Our website is intended to contain current laws and information but does not guarantee that such laws and information will be up-to-date and correct.